Reports to: Board of Directors
Supervises: Staff and AmeriCorps Member(s)
Position Summary: The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the overall operations of the organization. The Executive Director collaborates with the Board of Directors, partner agencies, donors, and the community at large to build trust in United Way and to promote its mission. S/he strives to leverage United Way’s breadth of community presence, relationships, and stewardship by developing strategies to positively impact and address the health, education, and basic needs of Greenbrier, Monroe, and Pocahontas County residents. The Executive Director is the chief fundraiser, storyteller, and strategy officer of the United Way.
Mission: Uniting hearts and minds to improve lives
Vision: United Way of the Greenbrier Valley is a trusted partner that, through collaboration, advocates for a stronger, healthier, more altruistic community by inspiring people and mobilizing resources to meet human needs in Greenbrier, Monroe, and Pocahontas Counties.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Provide organizational and community leadership including visionary/strategic thinking, decision-making and problem solving, team management/development, and community/agency collaboration.
- Assist the Board of Directors and committees with long and short-range goal setting and planning.
- Supervise the office and its personnel.
- Manage and coordinate day-to-day support operations of the annual campaign including but not limited to: special events; promotion; preparation of materials; solicitations and presentations; grant writing (including NIP credits); and donor recruitment and acknowledgement.
- Ensure the financial operations of the organization are conducted in a responsible manner in collaboration with the Treasurer and Finance Committee including but not limited to the processing of donations and pledges, financial reports, budgets, and investment strategy.
- Oversee allocations process by announcing fund availability, distributing applications, and coordinating volunteer committee review of applications.
- Monitor partner agency activity and ensure that United Way funds are used as outlined in funding application and approved by Allocations Committee.
- Develop personal contacts and cultivate current and potential donors, corporations, and foundations.
- Assess community needs.
- Build and participate in appropriate boards, task forces, coalitions, and committees.
- Work effectively with community leaders, donors, and applicants demonstrating a blend of leadership presence and cooperative work style.
- Develop, implement, and maintain year-round marketing and communication strategies to promote understanding and support of United Way.
- Coordinate, chair, and execute effective fund raising and awareness events.
- Model exemplary values and personal attributes including integrity, flexibility, continuous learning and self-mastery, and inclusiveness.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s Degree or experience in the non-profit sector.
- Effective personal impact and verbal communication skills, making the United Way and its objectives understandable and attractive to all facets of the cultural, educational, social, and economic diversity of the area.
- Initiative, self-discipline, and the ability to work without supervision while supervising and motivating others.
- High level of analytical ability required in order to monitor and refine United Way systems and procedures and ensure compliance with governmental rules and regulations.
- A compelling commitment to philanthropy and to the improvement of the quality of life for the residents of the Greenbrier Valley.
- Experience in administration, communications, development, fundraising, fund distribution, and volunteer recruitment.
- Acts as a catalyst to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities.
- Understands that the community’s success comes first and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network and the United Way’s mission in Greenbrier, Monroe, and Pocahontas Counties.